Who is HostNine?
Called as one of the youngsters in the industry, HostNine was founded back in early 2006. However, they were soon taken over by EIG in 2012. EIG is considered a titan now considering they own most of the top web host companies such as Bluehost and Hostgator.
Every host likes to go the extra mile(**coughLIEcough**) when it comes to promotional claims on their site. They use attention-seeking sound phrases, despite all the factual data, trying to ride by the reputation itself. HostNine jumps in on that trend. Claiming to be an “award-winning web host with an uptime of 99.9%”
So what are the benefits of HostNine?
The Goods Of HostNine
1. Faster than The Competition but how fast?
HostNine is faster by 22% which is quite impressive. They manage to deliver a consistent loading page speed time. It was shown that the results were actually beyond average. Take a look down below:
Last 10-month average load time:
- December 2017 average speed: 858ms
- January 2018 average speed: 816ms
- February 2018 average speed: 708ms
- March 2018 average speed: 711ms
- April 2018 average speed: 691ms
- May 2018 average speed: 699ms
- June 2018 average speed: 714ms
- July 2018 average speed: 670ms
- August 2018 average speed: 754ms
- September 2018 average speed: 685ms
2. Registration Is Friendly and Easy Sign-Up Process
HostNine gives out a concise and transparent motive so from there, you can understand what kind of service they want to give out, especially when signing up. If you want to experience a hassle-free registration process, HostNine has got your back with its simple information hierarchy. It’s safe to say that it is as easy as going for a walk at Malaysia’s Taman Negara.
3. A Nice 45 Day Money Back Assurance & Free Site Migration
Unlike most web host providers, HostNine is kind enough to extend that 30 day period to a long 45-day money-back guarantee. An excellent bonus if you are the type of person who takes their time deciding.
Also, they can migrate your existing website with little to no charge. Way to go HostNine looks like you’re 9 out of 10 in my books!
In that way, you will be receiving your refund easily.
4. Able To Choose Other DataCenters
The six locations where HostNine has planted its data centers are the US, UK, Singapore, Canada, Australia and Amsterdam.
If you decide to subscribe to their cheapest plan, the data center is only valid in the US. But you’ll be able to choose your own locations via other subscription plans.
5. Very Solid Uptime
Earlier, you’ve heard a very bold statement from them about their award-winning 99.9% uptime.
Last year, they only achieved 99.66%. That is 28% below of what the industry average which is 99.94%. This has left me in a disappointed state.
Coincidentally, I am not the only one. Most of the reviews that I have bumped into is experiencing a… well….. ‘Pleasant’ experience. Take a look:
- “I just lost the 3rd client in a row, because their emails have not been working over a week…”
- “My site has been down 4 days now.”
- “Had 18 sites go down last week for over 24 hours….two servers get blacklisted and my client’s emails were down for three days and counting with no end in sight”
- “My websites are down again…. all of them. And they have spread across a dozen different servers. Not sure how much more I can take of this crappy service.”
That does not look like a 9 out 10 service for you, does it?
But it gets better as time goes and you might find this shocking.
HostNine shows no signs of slowing down for the past eight months. They had no downtime at all which is quite remarkable. Here are the stats:
Last 10-month average uptime:
- December 2017 average uptime: 99.28%
- January 2018 average uptime: 99.35%
- February 2018 average uptime: 100%
- March 2018 average uptime: 100%
- April 2018 average uptime: 100%
- May 2018 average uptime: 100%
- June 2018 average uptime: 100%
- July 2018 average uptime: 100%
- August 2018 average uptime: 100%
- September 2018 average uptime: 100%
The Bads Of HostNine
1. Support is a No go
The first initial attempts were actually good. There was no wait time while connecting to the support agent. They managed to answer all of the questions given with details and links and everything in less than a minute. That’s crazy fast!
But then, the horrors began. A review has claimed that their website went down. And the solution is not that pleasing either. All they got from them was one email and that was it.
The result was them experiencing 2 months of downtime and mail where they admitted that no recovery plan was intended with no backups and that’s not the worst part, they won’t give refunds either. So what you’re looking here is a dead end.
Here are other claims by “happy” customers:
- “Live Help is a joke as they can’t do anything more than help someone recovers a password or open a help ticket that no one will respond to in over 72 hours. This was the EXACT reason I left HostGator and now you guys are doing the SAME thing! #pathetic”
- “So….30 hour wait for a response to a support ticket.”
- “3 support tickets since Saturday + No answers on any of them other than a “we’re looking into it” (which was 2 days ago) = Just moved all my sites to a new
HostNine Pricing, Hosting Plans & Quick Facts
|Personal Plan||Business Plan||Enterprise Plan|
|Cost: RM28.58 per month||Cost: RM45.35 per month||Cost: RM16.29 per month|
|Ease of Signup||One-page signup. Simple signup process.|
|Payment Methods||Credit Card, PayPal.|
|Hidden Fees and Clauses||A limit of 10 percent CPU usage, 5 percent or 512MB memory, 50 running processes, 15 minutes max Max Execution Time, 150,000 total inodes and 500 outgoing email messages per 60 minute period is placed on shared and reseller hosting accounts.|
|Upsells||Very few upsells.|
|Account Activation||Super fast activation.|
|Control Panel and Dashboard Experience||cPanel.|
|Installation of Apps and CMSs (WordPress, Joomla, etc.)||Quick and easy installation of popular apps and CMSs via Softaculous.|
Should you use HostNine?
So, the big question, are they 9 out of 10? Nope. At least, not yet. If they can manage to fix their uptime, they could be above average so to speak. As for now, look for other alternatives until they take action.
Still Don't Know What You Want?
Tell us about your business and we’ll match the best hosting to your website.
Talk To Us
Get in touch with us to help chart the best path forward for you.
Call to learn more about us, we are just a phone call away.
+6 016 525 1180
Drop us a message, we’re always standing by and eager to help.