Who are they?
New to the scene, HostMetro was established in 2012. Their specialty? Providing shared hosting ONLY.
Moreover, they are the ‘special’ type of company who does not join in the trend of providing 3 subscription plans. They are one of the fewer type to guarantee a price lock. This means that your price does not rack up when the time to renew has come.
Also, they brag about their 99.9% uptime to bring in a decent amount of offers to budget aware customers.
But do these statements really live up to our expectations? Grab your teh tarik as we are about to find out.
Unpredictably Decent Customer Support
1. Unpredictably Decent Customer Support
Our experience started like flowing water in a well. It went pretty good. The agents connected rapidly like a monorail in max speed and answered the given inquiry in a suitable time.
Sadly, other reviews showed a rather disappointing service. Take a peek:
- “We are unable to log in our c-panel and email is not working. We have tried contacting your online support and no one is picking up. Will anyone of you explain to me what’s happening?”
- “Your customer service is terrible! I am definitely looking for a new host. I was told you would get my site reactivated so I could fix things re: the plugins. It hasn’t been done. This has happened sooo many times and I am done.”
- “Hello guys, this is almost days now our websites are down and we are getting no help, taking 24hrs to reply for a ticket? I want help soonest, I can’t even reach you on call.”
- “What seems to be the problem with your support? I can’t get hold of anyone over the phone and its almost two hours wait. I can’t even connect with your chat support. And your email support is very slow. We are having an issue with our emails and I want somebody to fix it for me.”
2. Price Lock Guaranteed!!!!
Majority of web hosts persuade you with shockingly low rates at first but when that period ends and the time for you to renew has come, you’ll find a drastic change in terms of the pricing.
HostMetro keeps it’s price lock promise and that is a good thing. They guarantee your you first and future renewals stay the same.
A good deal to think about if you’re looking for a long term option.
3. Website Transfer costs zero (well, kinda)
They will cheerfully transfer your website for free IF it does not exceed the 3GB limit.
If you do exceed then, well.. You get the picture. Take note that you need to request to the transfer 30 days prior of creating an account.
If you’re not satisfied, you can always seek their 30 day, no questions asked money back reassurance.
In that way, you will be receiving your refund easily.
Cons Of HostMetro
1. Page Speed is equivalent to a slow moving monorail
During the eight month period, HostMetro pumped out 1,511ms worth of page loading time. If you are pondering whether that number is bad or good, its bad. Its 51.7% slower than the industry standard, which is 890ms.
Seeing that a single second delay can cost you 7% of alteration, HostMetro can actually cost you a lot more than you think in terms of sales.
The BEST part is that they have been persistent in being below average for every single month. Below are the results:
Last 10-month average load time:
- December 2017 average speed: 2,054ms
- January 2018 average speed: 1,906ms
- February 2018 average speed: 2,046ms
- March 2018 average speed: 2,182ms
- April 2018 average speed: 1,552ms
- May 2018 average speed: 1,138ms
- June 2018 average speed: 1,039ms
- July 2018 average speed: 1,095ms
- August 2018 average speed: 1,041ms
- September 2018 average speed: 1,055ms
2. An Underperforming Uptime Of 99.82%
And the underwhelming performance keeps running. HostMetro delivers an averaging uptime number of 99.82% for the past 8 months. (.12% below the average of 99.94%). That is opposing from the earlier claims on the website itself.
On the bright side, HostMetro states that if the performance is really underwhelming, they’ll give you an additional one month worth of credit if the performance drops down below the promised 99.90% uptime.
But try to think about this properly: a downtime duration of an hour could cost you a lot of visitors, conversions and therefore, sales and revenue. That to me is worth more than what HostMetro offers it’s credits.
Last 10-month average uptime:
- December 2017 average uptime: 99.70%
- January 2018 average uptime: 99.80%
- February 2018 average uptime: 99.72%
- March 2018 average uptime: 99.48%
- April 2018 average uptime: 99.70%
- May 2018 average uptime: 99.99%
- June 2018 average uptime: 99.95%
- July 2018 average uptime: 99.94%
- August 2018 average uptime: 99.89%
- September 2018 average uptime: 99.98%
3. Restrictive Backups
Backups. One of the most crucial features to have because problems, will always haunt you from time to time.
So what is bad about HostMetro’s backup offer? They claimed that it won’t guarantee anything, even though they offered it. Moreover. They will backup your files WEEKLY, not daily as promised. The latest backups will overwrite the old ones so if you want to recover old files back, you are out of luck.
Also, if your file is larger than 1GB, they will not back it up. Amazing, considering 1GB is not huge. Way to go HostMetro! My files will be saved because of you!
In conclusion the backup service is pretty much pointless.
5. Free domain offer which is restrictive.
When signing up, you should stumble across a free domain name offer. This however is only VALID if you use their “FREEDOMAIN” coupon code. Sigh, just when i got my hopes up.
If you find yourself wanting to renew domain names or add additional ones, they will charge a hefty price of $14.49 (RM59.36) which is pricier than what other web hosts charge.
6. Monthly Plans Include A ‘Setup Fee’
While they do offer a legit month-to-month hosting plan, the rate will jump drastically and you’ll also be facing a setup fee of $14.49 (RM59.36)
HostMetro Hosting Plans, Quick Facts and Pricing
|MegaMax Plan||Super Max Plan|
|Cost: FromRM12.08 per month||Cost: From RM28.46 per month|
|Ease of Signup||Signup process is a tad difficult. Should be simpler.|
|Payment Methods||Credit Card, PayPal.|
|Hidden Fees and Clauses||Accounts are limited to 200,000 inodes, 10 percent CPU and memory. In the event that you exceed this limit, your account might be suspended and you won’t be eligible for a refund.|
|Upsells||A few upsells!|
|Account Activation||Can take a while. You can make activation instant by paying a $5 fee.|
|Control Panel and Dashboard Experience||cPanel.|
|Installation of Apps and CMSs (WordPress, Joomla, etc.)||Easy 1-click install of popular apps and CMSs with Softaculous.|
Should You Use HostMetro?
No you should not. The only good thing about HostMetro is the inconsistent good customer service and the ‘price lock guarantee’. Other than that, it’s just a train wreck.
Loading speed is equivalent to a sloth. Uptime is a no go as well. With that being said, there are TONS of other web hosts who can give you better load times and uptimes. No to mention a better customer service as well. In conclusion, HostMetro is a train wreck.
Still Don't Know What You Want?
Tell us about your business and we’ll match the best hosting to your website.
Talk To Us
Get in touch with us to help chart the best path forward for you.
Call to learn more about us, we are just a phone call away.
+6 016 525 1180
Drop us a message, we’re always standing by and eager to help.